Permit To Work

The WPCG are pleased to announce the expansion of the WPCG program with the introduction of a WPCG Work Permit and associated High Risk Certificates.  The WPCG Work Permit process will replace existing WPCG member company Permit processes on facilities where the WPCG Work Clearance can currently be used.

The Permit to Work Bridging course is now available via your My Training menu in your WPCG profile. You may commence to use the system once you have completed the training and have access to the relevant forms.

The Work Permit form and certificates are available in your user menu.

Click here to download the WPCG Work Authorisation Procedure

Use the Activity Matrix to determine which authorisations are required for the scope of work. Download the Activity Matrix here.

FAQs for Permit Officers

For a full list of FAQs including the latest changes, please refer to  Frequently Asked Questions

What happens to my current PO status?

Your Permit Officer status including renewal dates and Permit Officer vs Senior Permit Officer competence has been provided by the WPCG member companies and will be transferred to the WPCG Work Authorisation system upon successful completion of the Bridging Course.

I’m an existing Permit Officer what do I need to do?

You will need to complete the WPCG Work Permit online bridging course and your accreditation will transfer across from the WPCG member company to the WPCG system. Your expiry date will remain the same.  If you are accredited with multiple WPCG Member companies, the most future date will be selected so as to not disadvantage those with multiple authorities.

What are the industry experience requirements for a new Permit Officer?

Applicants require a minimum of two years oil industry experience or another industry with equivalent Work Permit requirements

How does this apply to Principal Contractor arrangements?

The WPCG Work Authorisation process apples to WPCG member facilities sites when there is fuel within bulk site fuel assets.  A WPCG member company may consider equivalent Principal Contractor Permit to Work systems as alternative.  A WPCG member company will approve use of such systems under the contract.  Otherwise it is up to the Principal Contractor to apply the appropriate control of work processes.

How is the auditing of live Work Permits on site going to work?

Each WPCG Member Company has its own contractor monitoring processes to ensure compliance on their sites.  These will continue.  It will not be part of the role of JulSen Consulting to conduct this.

If I’m never going to issue a Work Permit with a Confined Space Entry or Working At Heights Certificate do I still need to complete the perquisite training requirements?

All Permit Officers migrating from BP, Caltex and Viva Energy will be given Recognised Prior Learning for Working at Height with respect to issuing Work Permits.  You should only issue a Work Permit for which you are competent to issue.  For Confined Space Entry, Viva Energy and BP require that all Confined Space Entry entrants, standby personnel, and Permit Officers are trained in Confined Space Entry to a National Unit of Competence by a Registered Training Organisation and current within the past 3 years.  Caltex requires such personnel to be trained and competent in accordance with contractual arrangements and Contractor Safety Management processes. All new Work Permit Officers will need the pre-requisite external certificates of competence, so that you understand the work and the hazards associated with the work as you will be authorised to issue a Work Permit with those Certificates as a Permit Officer.  You also need to have an understanding of Confined Spaces, in particularly, so that you do not issue a Work Permit for work in a Confined Space if you have not maintained currency of training.  The pre-requisites also serve to minimize the material that WPCG need to present during the Permit Officer training and avoids duplication for those that require the National Unit of Competence for other work purposes.

What if I don’t have my 6 permits and 6 certificates each 2 years as required for reaccreditation?

Your accreditation will expire as you will not be able to adequately demonstrate currency of your competence.  You will have to commence the process again.

What if my revalidation is due shortly after the roll out, how do I get 6 Permits and 6 Certificates

We will allow you to submit Permits from member company systems.  The number is being determined and may be on a case by case process.

How do I know if someone has been signed off by WPCG for gas testing?

All new Work Permit Officers will need the pre-requisite external certificates of competence.  All Permit Officers migrating from BP, Caltex and Viva Energy will be given Recognised Prior Learning for gas detector competence with respect to issuing Work Permits.  Note that with Viva Energy and BP you will need to be trained in Confined Space Entry to a National Unit of Competence by a Registered Training Organisation and current within the past 3 years. Any other Authorised Gas Testers who are not Permit Officers must be able to demonstrate they have completed the required NUC by a RTO; or the Authorised Gas Testers organisation will be required to demonstrate equivalent competency and have this authorised in writing and accepted by WPCG. One way to achieve this might be to have your existing training mapped to the national unit of competence, as defined in WPCG-PRO-01.

How will the Authorised Gas Tester authorisation process work?

The Authorised Gas Tester will need to be competent in a national unit of competence in gas testing, conducted by a registered training organization; or the Authorised Gas Testers organisation will be required to demonstrate equivalent competency and have this authorised in writing and accepted by WPCG. One way to achieve this might be to have your existing training mapped to the national unit of competence and submit this to WPCG for authorisation.

If a Permit Officer & Permit Receiver do everything they could and something goes wrong do I have any protection?

WPCG does not provide professional indemnity or insurance.  Permit Officers and Permit Receivers should seek their own advice on financial protection or insurances and comply with any WPCG Member company minimum requirements for any such insurances carried by their organization in accordance with relevant contractual requirements, as applicable.   

What if there is a minor change like I need to add an electrical tool missed on the permit?

Only the Permit Officer who issued the permit can amend the Work Permit. Otherwise a new Work Permit must be issued.  Any changes must be initialized by the Permit Officer, and the Work Permit must be endorsed by a Permit Endorser at the work site prior to the change being implemented. The Permit Officer does not have to be on site to amend a Permit. However, it is important to note that the Permit Endorser must receive a verbal handover (as a minimum) from the Permit Officer of the change (if they are not the same person) and must endorse the revised Work Permit at the work site.

Does there have to be a hard copy of the Work Permit on site?

A hard copy does not have to be on site. However, there must be a copy available to everyone at the work site.  This may be an electronic version.

What if the Work Permit expires and we need more time?

All work authorised by the Work Permit must stop. A new Work Permit would need to be issued.

Where do we document the training of workers?

The WPCG Process will not cover off all aspects of Work Health and Safety.  It will not be providing a system to document all the training and competencies of your workforce.  It will only be providing information on the training, and currency thereof, in the WPCG Work Clearance, Minimum Controls, and Work Permit processes.

What if there is no site representative present, e.g. unstaffed site or after-hours?

The Permit Officer in such case may be deemed authorized to be the Site Representative and sign this section of the Work Permit if the WPCG member company has authorized them to Permit the work on an unstaffed site or site after-hours.  If in doubt, contact the relevant WPCG member company representative.

Can the endorser work under a Work Permit they are nominated as an endorser for?

Yes, so long as they are not the Permit Officer for the Work Permit.

Why wont the permit pads be in duplicate so there can be a copy with the permit officer and a copy with the permit receiver?

One copy must remain at the work site with the Permit Receiver.  A second copy may be obtained by the Permit Officer, e.g. by photocopying, scanning, printing and signing duplicate, or photographing with their phone (in compliance with requirements with regards to use of phones on site).  It is anticipated that most Work Permits will be issued electronically, once available.  As such there will be a copy available in the cloud for records, and review by the Permit Officer at a later date or off site, in addition to one available on the work site.

How will electronic and paper versions be kept on site if there is only 1 copy and the PO is not staying on site?

Electronic copies can always be retrieved from the WPCG system.  There are other technologies available to make copies as required including copiers/scanners at sites, devices/cameras etc.

What if the Work Permit controls over rule the Work Clearance e.g. Stopping Work when a tanker turns up? Hot work can only recommence 30mins after tanker delivery.

The Work Permit is authorized by a person with greater authority and will take precedence over the Work Clearance including any standard requirements that may be deemed by the Permit Officer as not required (or not sufficient) for a particular task due to the level of risk.  For example, the opposing example to that given may be that the Work Permit requires hot work not to commence for 30mins after tanker delivery and also a repeat of gas testing has been conducted prior to work recommencing.

Once I’m a WPCG Permit Officer can I issue WPCG Work Permits on any site?

This system applies to WPCG Member facilities, the WPCG Member Companies will recognise the WPCG Permit Officer accreditation on their sites within scope of WPCG provided the Permit Officer has been engaged by the WPCG Member Companies or an accredited contractor of the WPCG Member Companies.  However, please note that some types of facilities may require additional authorization from the member company to be engaged to issue a WPCG Work Permit on certain types of facilities due to the focus of the WPCG training on the Retail environment.  Examples include Air BP Facilities and BP Depots.  Consult the WPCG member company for information on any such requirements.

If I was trained by BP, when can I start work as a PO for Caltex?

Once you have completed the online bridging course for Permit Officers you are able to issue permits for any of BP, Caltex or Viva Energy (Shell branded), if commercially engaged to do so by that oil company or their contractors per normal procurement process.

As a Permit Officer am I working for the WPCG?

No, you will be engaged by one of the WPCG Member Companies or their accredited contractors. The WPCG only administer the program.  There is no contractual relationship established between WPCG and Permit Officers, Permit Receivers, Permit Endorsers, and Work Clearance Issuers with regards to authorization or delivery of work.

Is there going to be a way of stopping a tick and flick approach by Permit Officers when completing the forms?

WPCG and oil company representatives will be undertaking spot audits in accordance with audit and assurance processes.  A Permit Officer risks losing his or her accreditation if it is found they are not following the correct process.  There will be a fair and transparent process for any such action which, if it were to occur, is likely to be a loss of WPCG accreditation and therefore across all WPCG facilities and not just those at which a particular incident (or series of incidents) occurred.

Are the existing Permit Officers still controlled and assessed by the three majors on their performance?

The WPCG will be conducting the assessments associated with certification and refresher training for both new and existing Permit Officers that move across to the WPCG system. Each WPCG member company has their own contractor monitoring processes to manage a contractor’s performance.

Do existing Permit Officers have to be WPCG Work Clearance Issuer accredited?

No, it is not mandatory to be a WPCG Work Clearance Issuer to issue a WPCG Work Permit.  Some organizations (such as integrated maintenance service providers) for their own purposes may require the Permit Officer issue a WPCG Work Clearance Form for their own work deemed to be the issuing of a Work Permit. However, this is not a WPCG requirement.

Can I go straight from probationary to senior PO, if buddy certificates include confined space

Yes, if they can demonstrate the required level of competence, and amongst the Work Permits submitted from the buddy process have at least 2 high risk certificates that require authorization by a Senior Permit Officer for that task.

What has changed for existing Permit Officers?

With regards to WPCG member company facilities within scope, up until now you were trained by the oil company X to provide a Permit Officer service to company X.  If you wanted to provide Permit Officer service to company Y, you had to complete the training of company Y. Recently BP, Caltex and Viva Energy agreed to harmonise their Permit to Work systems so that all 3 oil company processes, procedures, and training are now the same.  You can attend one training session and issue Work Permits for all three companies mindful of any individual additional company requirements such as currency of Confined Space Entry training by an RTO in a NUC at BP and Viva Energy; and BP HITRA training for Senior Permit Officers on BP sites.  The training and administration of this training has been outsourced to JulSen Pty Ltd, who will charge a fee for the training and assessment. The changes to the program for existing Permit Officers will be covered through an online bridging course and the information town hall meetings held in the capital cities.  These are provided for free.

What are the benefits of this change?

In most cases there will be one set of rules to follow, one set of forms and one administrator. Permit Officers will be able to issue Work Permits on all three oil company sites within scope and where engaged to do so.

The oil companies used to provide Permit Officer training for free, why are we now paying for this?

The costs associated with the training was historically by absorbed by each of the three oil companies.  The move to a common WPCG system applicable across BP, Caltex and Viva Energy will move to a user-pays system in order to be equitable to all parties utilizing the services of WPCG accredited Permit Officers.   WPCG went to tender to select the preferred trainer and administrator for the Permit to Work program who is capable of providing an efficient and effective service using the latest technology and training methodology, at a reasonable cost to Permit Officers.



Permit to Work Information Webinar

Information session on the WPCG Permit to Work program.